Sunday, June 25, 2017

3D Space Shuttle cake (with Tutorial) : Blast off into summer!


So last year, I made this space shuttle cake for my son's last day of school. I decided to make a tutorial for it. And I'm just getting around to posting it. Which is just like me. 


I used styrofoam for the bottom of the cake. And as you can see I cut my own cake board. Lol. It doesn't have smooth edges. 


Here are all the cakes that I used to make it. 

4 - 6" cakes
2 - 5" cakes
and 2 - 4" cakes




The cake board. 



More cake board info.



Putting it all together. 


I stacked it like this, and then realized that wasn't going to work. 


So I re-stacked it. From the top to the bottom: 4",4", 5", 6", 6", 5", 4", 4" . 


The carved cake! 


The cake has been covered in buttercream!


I had to put three sections of fondant on the cake, so that it would work. When I tried to drape one piece of fondant over the cake, it just kept ripping. 


The final picture of the cake! 


A little note...


The school mascot is a dog, so we use a little paw print around the school. 


I must have added some buttercream dots for some reason. 


And finally here it is, in the class room. 


No comments: